Andrew is a Research Fellow at the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research at The University of Manchester. Andrew has a background and interests in environmental, energy and engineering themes, a strong track record undertaking sustainability, climate change and bioenergy research through developing modelling toolkits and analysis methodologies.
Andrew is a Topic Representative within the current UK Supergen Bioenergy Hub research programme where he works with academics, NGO, industry and government to promote the growth of a sustainable UK bioenergy sector. Andrew is also the author of the University Manchester’s Bioenergy Impact Case that demonstrates how Manchester’s bioenergy research has provided the science on which UK policies have been developed to support the deployment of UK low carbon heat bioenergy technologies.
- Biomass Resources – wastes, residues & grown
- Resource Supply Chains
- Low Carbon Heating
- Decarbonisation of Agriculture
- Welfle A, Thornley P, Röder M. A Review of the Role of Bioenergy Modelling in Renewable Energy Research & Policy Development. Biomass and Bioenergy: 2020; 136. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2020.105542
- Horschig T, Welfle A, Billig E, Thrän D. From Paris Agreement to Business Cases for Upgraded Biogas: Analysis of Potential Market Uptake for Biomethane Plants in Germany using Biogenic Carbon Capture and Utilization Technologies. Biomass & Bioenergy Journal: 2019; 120: 313-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2018.11.022
- Vaughan N, Gough C, Mander S, Littleton E, Welfle A, Gernaat D, Van Vuuren D. Evaluating the use of Biomass Energy with Carbon Capture and Storage in Low Emission Scenarios Environmental Research Letters. 13(4): 044014. https://doi.org/10.1017/sus.2018.3
- Gough C, Garcia Freites S, Jones C, Mander S, Moore B, Pereira C, Roeder M, Vaughan N, Welfle A. Challenges to the use of BECCS as a Keystone Technology in Pursuit of 1.5oC. Global Sustainability. 2018; 1: (5) 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1017/sus.2018.3
- Welfle A. Balancing Growing Global Bioenergy Resource Demands - Brazil's Biomass Potential and the Availability of Resource for Trade. Biomass & Bioenergy. 105: 83-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2017.06.011
- Welfle A, Gilbert P, Thornley P, Stephenson A. Generating Low-Carbon Heat from Biomass: Life Cycle Assessment of Bioenergy Scenarios. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2017; 149: 448-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.02.035
- Lou, E, Lee, A, Welfle A. Greenhouse Gases (GHG) Performance of Refurbishment Projects – Lessons from UK Higher Education Student Accommodation Case Studies. Journal of Cleaner Production. 2017; 154: 309-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.03.226
- Welfle A, Gilbert P, Thornley P. Securing a Bioenergy Future without Imports. Energy Policy. 2014; 68: 1–14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enpol.2013.11.079
- Welfle A, Gilbert P, Thornley P. Increasing Biomass Resource Availability through Supply Chain Analysis. Biomass & Bioenergy. 2014; 70: 249–66. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biombioe.2014.08.001