Samira Garcia Freites
University of Manchester
Samira is a research associate at the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research where she works in the NERC-funded project “Feasibility of Afforestation and Biomass energy with Carbon Capture and Storage (BECCS) for Greenhouse gas removal”. In this project, she is conducting process modelling and contributing to life-cycle assessment for supply chains of BECCS systems.
In addition to the interest in evaluating BECCS system, her research interest are on evaluating the potential of agricultural residues to produce sustainable bioenergy for rural areas in low and middle-income countries (LMIC). She is also interested in investigating the impact of international and national policies on climate change; energy security and agriculture development on the deployment of bioenergy technologies in rural areas of LMIC.
She completed her PhD in the University of Manchester, assessing the feasibility of small-scale gasification-CHP systems to convert coffee residues to electricity and for the rural coffee areas by understanding and evaluating the technical, environmental and economic dimensions of the technology’s deployment. She holds a degree and MSc in Mechanical engineering and has previous research experience on modelling using CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) tools of biological systems and project management.
- Process modelling
- Life-cycle assessment
- Techno-economic assessment
- Biomass Resources Assessment
- CFD and heat transfer modelling
- Garcia-Freites, S., Welfle, A., Lea-Langton, A. et al. (2019). The potential of coffee stems gasification to provide bioenergy for coffee farms: a case study in the Colombian coffee sector. Biomass Conv. Bioref. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-019-00480-8
- Gough, C., Garcia-Freites, S., Jones, C., Mander, S., Moore, B., Pereira, C., Welfle, A. (2018). Challenges to the use of BECCS as a keystone technology in pursuit of 1.5⁰C. Global Sustainability, 1, E5. https://doi.org/10.1017/sus.2018.3
- Pupo, O., García S., Bula, A., Di Mare L, Gomez S, Bula A (2018). Optimization of Chaetoceros gracilis Microalgae Production for Fish Feeding Using an Airlift Photobioreactor. Adv. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 15: 83-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.19026/ajfst.14.5876
- Garcia-Freites, S., Pupo-Roncallo, O., Paternina, E., Bula, A. et al. (2014). CFD simulation of multiphase flow in an airlift column photobioreactor. Global Nest Journal, 16: 1121 – 1134. https://doi.org/10.30955/gnj.001478
- Pupo-Roncallo, O., García-Freites, S., Paternina, E., Bula, A., Cortina, A., and Acuña, F. (2012). Comparison of Two Different Vertical Column Photobioreactors for the Cultivation of Nannochloropsis sp. ASME. J. Energy Resour. Technol, 135. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4007689
School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering
The University of Manchester,
M13 9PL| United Kingdom
University website profile: https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/samira.garciafreites.html
Tel: +44 (0) 161 275 4371