As a geospatial data scientist, Dr. Xing’s research uniquely integrates big data analytics and AI algorithms to investigate smart cities. He employs an interdisciplinary approach by incorporating methods and tools from GIS, Remote Sensing, cloud computing, computer vision, and IoT. His work aims to bridge GIS and civil engineering, transforming data to information, knowledge, and decision in urban environment systems. His research has been applied to resilient infrastructure and intelligent transportation, to shift cities more livable and sustainable.
Lecturer in Geospatial Analysis
- Li, S.*, Blythe, P., Zhang, Y., Edwards, S., Xing, J., Guo, W., … & Namdeo, A. (2021). Should older people be considered a homogeneous group when interacting with level 3 automated vehicles?. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 78, 446-465.
- Tan, S., Chen, L.*, Pan, Z., Xing, J., Li, Z., & Yuan, Z. (2020). Geospatial Contextual Attention Mechanism for Automatic and Fast Airport Detection in SAR Imagery. IEEE Access.
- Chen, L., Zhang, P., Xing, J.*, Li, Z., Xing, X., & Yuan, Z. (2020). A Multi-scale Deep Neural Network for Water Detection from SAR Images in the Mountainous Areas. Remote Sensing.
- Chen, L., Weng, T., Xing, J.*, Pan, Z., Xing, X., & Yuan, Z. (2020). A new deep learning network for automatic bridge detection from SAR images based on balanced and attention mechanism. Remote Sensing, 12(3), 441.
- Xing, J.*,Sieber, R. E., & Roche, S. (2020). Rethinking Spatial Tessellation in an era of Smart Cities. 2020 Special Issue of the Annals of the American Association of Geographers on the topic of Smart Spaces and Places.
- Zhang, P., Chen, L.*, Li, Z., Xing, J., Xing, X., & Yuan, Z. (2019). Automatic Extraction of Water and Shadow from SAR Images Based on a Multi-Resolution Dense Encoder and Decoder Network. Sensors, 19(16), 3576.
- Xing, J.*, Sieber, R. E., & Caelli, T. (2018). A Scale Invariant Change Detection Method for Land Use/Cover Change Research Algorithm. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing.
- Xing, J.*, & Sieber, R. E. (2016). A land use/land cover change geospatial cyberinfrastructure to integrate big data and temporal topology. International Journal of Geographical Information Science, 30(3), 573-593.