My research explores the role of science and expertise in the international political response to climate change, with a particular focus on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC). I am also exploring the convergence between the global health agenda and climate change and the biodiversity agenda and climate change.
My research interests stem from my concern for the environment and climate change. I have examined these issues from diverse perspectives, including the securitisation framework and the sociological approach of Pierre Bourdieu. The questions that I have sought to address through these approaches aim to identify the forms of knowledge and power defining environmental problems and how these shape social and political response. To date, my research has largely focused on the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), and has aimed to illuminate the actors, activities and forms of authority that constitute the IPCC as practice of assessing climate change. Through this research I have also developed a keen interest in reflective research methods and methodology.
Since completing my PhD in the Department of International Politics at Aberystwyth University in 2012, I have been focused on publishing its main contributions, with a co-authored article on Patterns of Authorship published in Nature Climate Change, and a second article on Bourdieu and the IPCC published in Global Environmental Politics.
I am interested in supervising research students in the following areas:
Climate change; Knowledge and power; Global scientific processes; Pierre Bourdieu and International Political Sociology; Environmental Security; Nexus been global health, sustainable development, biodiversity and climate change governance.
- Corbera, E.et al. 2016. Patterns of authorship in the IPCC Working Group III report. Nature Climate Change 6, pp. 94-99. (10.1038/nclimate2782)
- Hughes, H. 2015. Bourdieu and the IPCC's symbolic power. Global Environmental Politics 15(4), pp. 85-104. (10.1162/GLEP_a_00323)
- Hughes, H. 2016. The global environment. In: Guillaume, X. and Bilgin, P. eds. Routledge Handbook of International Political Sociology. London: Routledge, pp. 136-144.
- Coleman, L. M. and Hughes, H. 2014. Distance. In: Aradau, C. et al. eds. Critical Security Methods: New Frameworks for Analysis. Routledge, pp. 142-158.
- Hughes, H. 2013. The practice of writing. In: Salter, M. B. and Mutlu, J. E. eds. Research Methods in Critical Security Studies: An Introduction. London: Routledge, pp. 93-96.