Alejandro Gallego Schmid
University of Manchester
Dr Alejandro Gallego Schmid has a BSc (Hons) in Environmental Science, a MEng in Environmental Engineering and obtained his PhD in Chemical and Environmental Engineering with First Class (Honours) cum laude. Alejandro has participated as PI and co-I in 12 national and international scientific projects. He has worked as an Environmental Engineer and Sustainability Research and Development Manager in a sector leader multinational industrial company (Cosentino S.A.) and as Research Associate in the Sustainable Industrial Systems research group at the University of Manchester. Nowadays, Alejandro works as a Lecturer in Industrial and Material Energy Efficiency and Sustainability at Tyndall Manchester.
Alejandro's experience has been focus on life cycle assessment (LCA), carbon footprint, circular economy, material flow analysis, social sustainability assessment, life cycle costing, multi-criteria decision analysis, material efficiency, circular economy and global change both in the academia and industry. His current research is focus on the circularity and sustainability of solar photovoltaic technologies and wastewater treatment in developing countries.
- Assessing the environmental sustainability of electricity generation in Chile Gaete Morales, C., Gallego Schmid, A., Stamford, L. & Azapagic, A. 15 Sep 2018 In : Science of the Total Environment. 636, p. 1155-1170 15 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.04.346
- Environmental assessment of thermo-chemical processes for bio-ethylene production in comparison with bio-chemical and fossil-based ethylene Alonso-fariñas, B., Gallego-schmid, A., Haro, P. & Azapagic, A. 17 Aug 2018 In : Journal of Cleaner Production. 202, p. 817-829 12 p DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.08.147
- Sustainability assessment of home-made solar cookers for use in developed countries Mendoza, J. M. F., Gallego Schmid, A., Schmidt Rivera, X. C., Rieradevall, J. & Azapagic, A. 9 Aug 2018 (Accepted/In press) In : Science of the Total Environment.
- Life cycle environmental evaluation of kettles: Recommendations for the development of eco-design regulations in the European Union Gallego Schmid, A., Jeswani, H., Fernandez Mendoza, J. M. & Azapagic, A. 1 Jun 2018 In : Science of the Total Environment. 625 DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.12.262
- Environmental assessment of microwaves and the effect of European energy efficiency and waste management legislation Gallego-Schmid, A., Mendoza, J. M. F. & Azapagic, A. 15 Mar 2018 In : Science of the Total Environment. 618, p. 487-499 13 p. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.11.064
- Developing and implementing circular economy business models in service-oriented technology companies Heyes, G., Sharmina, M., Fernandez Mendoza, J. M., Gallego Schmid, A. & Azapagic, A. 10 Mar 2018 In : Journal of Cleaner Production. 177, p. 621-632 11 p.
- Research output: Contribution to journal › Article DOI: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.12.168
- Improving the environmental sustainability of reusable food containers in Europe Gallego Schmid, A., Fernandez Mendoza, J. M. & Azapagic, A. 2018 In : Science of the Total Environment. DOI: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.02.128
- Integrating Backcasting and Eco-design for the Circular Economy: The BECE Framework Fernandez Mendoza, J. M., Sharmina, M., Gallego Schmid, A., Heyes, G. & Azapagic, A. 2017 In : Journal of Industrial Ecology. DOI: 10.1111/jiec.12590
Telephone: +44 (0) 161 306 8962
Institution Profile: https://www.research.manchester.ac.uk/portal/alejandro.gallegoschmid.html
Further publications: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=vPLM1n8AAAAJ
Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research School of Mechanical, Aerospace and Civil Engineering University of Manchester HG1, Pariser Building | Sackville Street | Manchester | M13 9PL | UK