Chris began his research career at the Met Research Flight of the UK Met Office carrying out research into radiation transfer in the atmosphere for use in climate change modelling. He moved to Newcastle University where he started work as a Research Associate on Mediterranean climate change and hydrology and large scale hydrological modelling. Since then he has researched many aspects of the water sector, particularly focussed on extremes and climate change impacts and adaptation, ranging from drought to flood risk.
The scope of the work has been from small catchments up to continental scale and has covered many parts of the world. An increasing emphasis in recent years has been on the hydrology and drainage of cities, increasingly in the context of climate change impacts and adaptation responses.
A major theme has been the use of simulation models for both generating rainfall sceanrios as well as simulating hydrologic and hydraulic responses of natural and man-made infrastructure systems. Much of this work has used stochastic approaches for rainfall and climate scenario modelling. His recent work includes leading the Weather Generator component of the UKCP09 national climate scenarios. He is Senior Academic for Newcastle's involvement with the Willis Research Network : Willis are a leading international insurance broker and the research is directed at improving understanding and simulation of flood risk worldwide.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. A blueprint for full collective flood risk estimation: demonstration for European river flooding. Risk Analysis 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Walsh CL, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Burton A, Dawson RJ, Glenis V, Manning LJ, Jahanshahi G, Kilsby CG. Adaptation of water resource systems to an uncertain future. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 2016, 20, 1869-1884.
- Darch GJC, McSweeney RT, Kilsby CG, Jones PD, Osborn TJ, Tomlinson JE. Analysing changes in short-duration extreme rainfall events. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Water Management 2016, 169(5), 201-211.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. Irreversibility and complex network behavior of stream flow fluctuations. Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications 2016, 450, 585-600.
- Guerreiro SB, Kilsby CG, Fowler HJ. Rainfall in Iberian transnational basins: a drier future for the Douro, Tagus and Guadiana?. Climatic Change 2016, 135(3), 467-480.
- Tye MR, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Stephenson DB, Kilsby CG. Simulating multimodal seasonality in extreme daily precipitation occurrence. Journal of Hydrology 2016, 537, 117-129.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. The importance of prewhitening in change point analysis under persistence. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 2016, 30(2), 763-777.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. Understanding persistence to avoid underestimation of collective flood risk. Water 2016, 8(4), 152.
- Forsythe N, Hardy AJ, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Kilsby CG, Archer DR, Hashmi MZ. A detailed cloud fraction climatology of the Upper Indus Basin and its implications for near surface air temperature. Journal of Climate 2015, 28(9), 3537-3556.
- Glenis V, Pinamonti V, Hall J, Kilsby C. A transient stochastic weather generator incorporating climate model uncertainty. Advances in Water Resources 2015.
- Byers E, Qadrdan M, Leathard A, Alderson D, Hall JW, Amezaga JM, Tran M, Kilsby CG, Chaudry M. Cooling water for Britain's future electricity supply. Proceedings of the ICE - Energy 2015, 168(3), 188-204.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. Stationarity is undead: Uncertainty dominates the distribution of extremes. Advances in Water Resources 2015, 77, 17-36.
- Serinaldi F, Bárdossy A, Kilsby CG. Upper tail dependence in rainfall extremes: would we know it if we saw it?. Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment 2015, 29(4), 1211-1233.
- Guerreiro SB, Kilsby CG, Serinaldi F. Analysis of time variation of rainfall in transnational basins in Iberia: abrupt changes or trends?. International Journal of Climatology 2014, 34(1), 114-133.
- Forsythe N, Fowler HJ, Blenkinsop S, Burton A, Kilsby CG, Archer DR, Harpham C, Hashmi MZ. Application of a stochastic weather generator to assess climate change impacts in a semi-arid climate: The Upper Indus Basin. Journal of Hydrology 2014, 517, 1019-1034.
- Hall JW, Henriques JJ, Hickford AJ, Nicholls RJ, Baruah P, Birkin M, Chaudry M, Curtis TP, Eyre N, Jones C, Kilsby CG, Leathard A, Lorenz A, Malleson N, McLeod F, Powrie W, Preston J, Rai N, Street R, Stringfellow A, Thoung C, Tyler P, Velykiene R, Watson G, Watson JW. Assessing the Long-Term Performance of Cross-Sectoral Strategies for National Infrastructure. Journal of Infrastructure Systems 2014, 20(3).
- Birkinshaw SJ, Moore P, Kilsby CG, O'Donnell GM, Hardy AJ, Berry PAM. Daily discharge estimation at ungauged river sites using remote sensing. Hydrological Processes 2014, 28(3), 1043-1054.
- Galatioto F, Glenis V, Roberts R, Kilsby C. Exploring and Modelling the Impacts of Rainfall and Flooding on Transport Network. The case study of Newcastle upon Tyne. In: 2nd International Conference on Urban Sustainability and Resilience. 2014, University College London, UK. In Press.
- Ahilan S, Wright N, Sleigh A, Too S, Glenis V, Kilsby C, Kutija V. Flood Risk Management in Small Urban River Using a Sustainable Urban Drainage System: Wortley Beck, Leeds, UK. In: 11th International Conference on Hydroinformatics. 2014, New York, USA: Duraspace.
- Merz B, Aerts J, Arnbjerg-Nielsen K, Baldi M, Becker A, Bichet A, Bloschl G, Bouwer LM, Brauer A, Cioffi F, Delgado JM, Gocht M, Guzzetti F, Harrigan S, Hirschboeck K, Kilsby C, Kron W, Kwon HH, Lall U, Merz R, Nissen K, Salvatti P, Swierczynski T, Ulbrich U, Viglione A, Ward PJ, Weiler M, Wilhelm B, Nied M. Floods and climate: emerging perspectives for flood risk assessment and management. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 2014, 14(7), 1921-1942.
- Jenkins K, Gilbey M, Hall J, Glenis V, Kilsby C. Implications of climate change for thermal discomfort on underground railways. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment 2014, 30, 1-9.
- Zhang HB, Wang YL, Liang QH, Smith LS, Kilsby CG. Non-negative depth reconstruction for a two-dimensional partial inertial inundation model. Journal of Hydroinformatics 2014, 16(5), 1158-1177.
- Jones M, Blenkinsop S, Fowler HJ, Kilsby CG. Objective classification of extreme rainfall regions for the UK and updated estimates of trends in regional extreme rainfall. International Journal of Climatology 2014, 34(3), 751-765.
- Jenkins K, Hall J, Glenis V, Kilsby C, McCarthy M, Goodess C, Smith D, Malleson N, Birkin M. Probabilistic spatial risk assessment of heat impacts and adaptations for London. Climatic Change 2014, 124(1-2), 105-117.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. Rainfall extremes: Toward reconciliation after the battle of distributions. Water Resources Research 2014, 50(1), 336-352.
- Serinaldi F, Kilsby CG. Simulating daily rainfall fields over large areas for collective risk estimation. Journal of Hydrology 2014, 512, 285-302.
- Tomlinson JE, McSweeney RT, Darch GJC, Kilsby CG. Wrapt - software for analysing UKCP09 weather generator output. Proceedings of the ICE - Water Management 2014, 167(6), 318-321.
- Jones MR, Fowler HJ, Kilsby CG, Blenkinsop S. An assessment of changes in seasonal and annual extreme rainfall in the UK between 1961 and 2009. International Journal of Climatology 2013, 33(5), 1178-1194.
- Glenis V, McGough AS, Kutija V, Kilsby C, Woodman S. Flood modelling for cities using Cloud computing. Journal of Cloud Computing: Advances, Systems and Applications 2013, 2(1), 7.
- Burton A, Glenis V, Jones MR, Kilsby CG. Models of daily rainfall cross-correlation for the United Kingdom. Environmental Modelling & Software 2013, 49, 22-33.